With the cold, rainy, gray days of winter, I find that there is ample time spent indoors. As a self-proclaimed movie-lover, I try to take advantage of this time by watching films – be it classics, the newest Oscar-nominated movie, a documentary found on Netflix, or a fun animated adventure. Below are 16 of my favorite movies. Each of these touch my heart with how they highlight important perspectives on the human experience. Perhaps enjoying a meaningful book or a heartfelt movie can inspire you with doses of compassion, courage, & love during these dark, wintry days.
- The King’s Speech : for empowerment and owning your voice
- Big Fish : for living a big life
- 42 : for courage & justice
- Fantastic Mr. Fox : for embracing your true (quirky) self
- The Pursuit of Happyness : for perseverance & hope
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower : for self-acceptance & navigating pain
- Goodwill Hunting : for trust & healing
- How to Train Your Dragon : for discovering unlikely friends
- The Imitation Game : for believing in your genius
- The Martian : for resilience
- The Hobbit (trilogy) : for risk-taking & bravery
- Seeking a Finding for the End of the World : for connection and comradeship
- When Harry Met Sally : for vulnerability & love
- Burt’s Buzz (documentary) : for beauty in simplicity
- Wreck it Ralph : for knowing your value
- The Truman Show: for finding your own way
Thank you for reading. To learn more about Lydia & her counseling practice at Foundation Counseling, feel free to visit here.
4 thoughts on “16 Films for the Heart & Soul”
Thank you for these recommendations Lydia! (I feel good that I have actually seen five of these!) I will try to watch the others soon.
I love you,
*From:* Lydia Minear, MA, LAPC [mailto:email@example.com] *Sent:* Friday, January 22, 2016 4:05 PM *To:* firstname.lastname@example.org *Subject:* [New post] 16 Films to stir the Heart & Soul
Lydia Minear, M.A., Counselor posted: “With the cold, rainy, gray days of winter, I find that there is ample time spent indoors. My husband and I, self-proclaimed movie-lovers, try to take advantage of this time by watching films – be it classics, the newest Oscar-nominated movie, a documentar”
What great info to send out! Way to go, Lydia!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone
Love this post! So many great titles listed here with consise descriptions. Well done! Several on the list make my favorite movies list for the very reasons you chose them for this post.
Enjoyed this post. I’ve enjoyed a few
Of the movies on your list.😊❤️❤️